TOPIC: FAST LANE TO POVERTY
TEXT: Proverbs 23:1-12
1. When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee;
2. And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.
3. Be not desirous of his dainties; for they are deceitful meat.
4. Labour not to be rich; cease from thine own wisdom.
5. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
6. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats;
7. For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he; Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
8. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.
9. Speak not in the ears of a fool; for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.
10. Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless;
11. For their redeemer is mighty; he shall plead their cause with thee.
12. Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge.
Deeper Life Daily Manna
KEY VERSE: Proverbs 23:5
“Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.” –
MMM, according to Wikipedia, was a Russian company that perpetrated one of the world’s largest Ponzi schemes of all time in the 1990s. By different estimates, from 5 to 10 million people lost their savings. According to contemporary Western press reports, most investors were aware of the fraudulent nature of the scheme but still hoped to profit from it by withdrawing money before it collapsed.
From 2011, Mavrodi started targeting developing countries in Asia and Africa, promising 30% monthly returns and other promotional offers. As events later proved, majority of the investors lost everything invested in the scheme. The path to making quick money “without a sweat” is littered with woes.
Today’s passage spells out the dangers inherent in seeking to get rich through dubious means. The text begins with the need for caution and self-restraint when offered the privilege of dining with the rich, as the offer may be borne out of deceit.
We are counselled against striving to get rich quick at all costs as such riches do not last but will certainly ‘grow’ wings and fly away. The passage admonishes against desiring or coveting the ‘dainty meats’ of the rich. It ends with warning against acquiring wealth through oppressing the poor and depriving the fatherless of their rights. Although they may appear powerless and defenseless, their Redeemer is mighty and would surely plead their cause.
To enjoy God’s best in life, you must be content with what you have and seek honest labour to maintain your wealth. Paul admonishes that “godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content”.
Deeper Life Daily Manna For Today
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Little is much when God is in it.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Chronicles 25-29
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.