There’s a distinct difference in how average pastors and renegade pastors view the expansion of God’s kingdom. Average pastors wrestle with one of two opposing temptations. Either they are tempted to focus solely on their own churches, to the exclusion of any involvement in the greater Kingdom, or they get so excited about outside kingdom opportunities that they let their own churches plateau and fail. Over the years, I have worked with a number of pastors who have fallen into both of these traps.
Renegade pastors, on the other hand, have bifocal vision. They primarily keep their eyes on what is going on in their own churches, but they are also mindful of their responsibility to the bigger picture. If you’ve ever put on a pair of bifocal glasses, you know that bifocal vision isn’t an equal 50/50 split of attention; it’s more like 95/5. About 95 percent of the lens allows you to focus where 95 percent of your attention needs to be. The other 5 percent of the lens comes into play less frequently, but it is still an important element of your overall vision.
Renegade pastors have bifocal vision.
Click To Tweet
As you think about expanding God’s kingdom, that’s how your attention should be divided. Ninety-five percent of your energy should be focused on building up the church you are called to, and 5 percent should be given to engaging in larger-scale ministry opportunities outside your doors. I challenge you to think beyond your church’s operation and ask God how He would have you engage in the work of expanding His overall Kingdom.
Ask God how He would have you engage in the work of expanding His overall Kingdom.
Click To Tweet
When it comes to moving beyond your immediate ministry concerns and into the realm of the greater Kingdom, there are countless approaches. You can do missions work locally or overseas; invest time with orphans, widows and the needy; or do any number of other things. You will have to figure out what your 5 percent focus should be directed toward. That said, here are three ways I would encourage you to get involved in the bigger picture: through (1) launching new churches, (2) raising up new leaders, and (3) investing in the other pastors around you.
– Nelson Searcy and Jennifer Dykes Henson
The above excerpt is from pgs. 25-27 of The Renegade Pastor: Abandoning Average in Your Life and Ministry.
Drawing from Nelson Searcy’s decades of ministry experience, The Renegade Pastor is a relevant, step-by-step resource for church leaders who are ready to step up in surrender to the pursuit of God’s best for his or her life and work.
Your partner in ministry,